Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?

To: Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?
From: Sean Elble <elbles@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:25:30 -0400
Cc: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 7/25/09 5:46 AM, "Christian Kujau" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 at 09:26, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>>>   # losetup -r /dev/loop0 /path/to/IRIXbackup
>>>   # hexedit /dev/loop0 ...or whatever tool you'll be using.
>>
>> Which has what advantage over directly changing the image?
>
> Sean mentioned the "thrashing of the old disk" and I figured I'd be
> worried not only by that but that the old disk might die anytime soon. So
> I wanted to present an alternative to do the search - I don't know too
> much about his setup, so it's up to him to follow this advice or not.

I think (and hope, considering its age) that the disk is OK.  My concern was
more with the speed that hexedit could traverse the drive searching for a
string, as opposed to dd'ing the drive to disk, editing the image, and then
dd'ing the image back to disk.

Using the loopback driver is definitely a thought, but I don't know if the
kernel on my spare box supports it or not.  I'll definitely take it into
consideration, depending on how it goes, so thanks for the info.

--