Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?

To: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?
From: Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 02:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Sean Elble <elbles@xxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 at 09:26, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> >   # losetup -r /dev/loop0 /path/to/IRIXbackup
> >   # hexedit /dev/loop0 ...or whatever tool you'll be using.
>
> Which has what advantage over directly changing the image?

Sean mentioned the "thrashing of the old disk" and I figured I'd be
worried not only by that but that the old disk might die anytime soon. So
I wanted to present an alternative to do the search - I don't know too
much about his setup, so it's up to him to follow this advice or not.

> Even with just 10MB/s it's less than 4 Minutes for 2GB.
> In comparison it takes over 3 hours to copy a modern 1TB HDD @ 80MB/s.

?? (what kind of comparison is that?)

C.
--
BOFH excuse #443:

Zombie processes detected, machine is haunted.