Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?

To: Sean Elble <elbles@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Using xfsdump On Linux With IRIX Version 1 FS?
From: Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:23:33 +0200
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sean Elble <elbles@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> But another post <http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2003-07/msg00495.html> has
> a 2.4.21 kernel being used with a patch, so I'm not sure if I want to try a
> 2.6 kernel, or see if I can patch together a 2.4.x kernel on an old FC4 box
> I have laying around.  Truth be told, it's a lot of work just to blank the
> entries in /etc/shadow so I can login to a 150 MHz box again, so who knows
> if I'll even try at this point, hah.

If you just want to modify /etc/shadow I would just search for the strings
on the raw disk and then edit them directly with some hex editor.
You'll need to fill in something with the same length, presumably
another encrypted password. Just make sure you generate it with
the same algorithm as Irix.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.