Re: bad fs - xfs_repair 3.01 crashes on it

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: bad fs - xfs_repair 3.01 crashes on it
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:09:48 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Monnerie wrote:
> On Samstag 04 Juli 2009 Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Where's Barry when you need him ....
>
> Who's that?

The ex-sgi xfs_repair maintainer :)

>> Also I need to look at when the ASSERTs are active and when they
>> should be; the Fedora packaged xfsprogs doesn't have the ASSERT
>> active, and so this doesn't trip.  After 2 calls to xfs_repair on
>> Fedora, w/o the ASSERTs active, it checks clean on the 3rd (!).  Not
>> great.  Not sure how much was cleared out in the process either...
>
> Any ideas/news on this? I'd like to xfs_repair that stuff. It seems to
> only hit one file, but I don't dare delete it, maybe it makes things
> worse?
>
> mfg zmi

Sorry, I will get back to this soon - today I hope.  I seem to be
getting more and more familiar w/ xfs_repair these days.  :)

If you do want to try deleting that one file or other such tricks, you
can do it on a sparse metadata image of the fs as a dry run:

# xfs_metadump -o /dev/whatever metadump.img
# xfs_mdrestore metadump.img filesystem.img
# mount -o loop filesystem.img mnt/
# <fiddle as you please>
# umount mnt/
# xfs_repair filesystem.img