Re: corrupt file system -- "Structure needs cleaning"

To: Hendrik Hoeth <hendrik.hoeth@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: corrupt file system -- "Structure needs cleaning"
From: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:36:20 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Jun 26, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Hendrik Hoeth wrote:

This is how I recovered (well, most of the data I had copied is
corrupt at the target location):

Some files would not make it to disk when filesystem shut down.
I'd expect that such files are short. Do you have other indication
that the files are corrupt?

-------------------8<---------------------
[14:40] root@jetway:/var/log # umount /home
[14:43] root@jetway:/var/log # xfs_check /dev/mapper/hda_crypt_vg-home
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_check. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
of the filesystem before doing this.
[14:43] root@jetway:/var/log # mount /home/
[14:43] root@jetway:/var/log # umount /home/
[14:44] root@jetway:/var/log # xfs_check /dev/mapper/hda_crypt_vg-home
[14:44] root@jetway:/var/log # mount /home/

Seems like no corruption on disk.
The system detected in memory corruption and shut the filesystem
down to avoid writing bad (meta)data to disk. I don't have answer
for that problem, however you can continue to use the filesystem,
and may never see this problem again. If it happens again, it
could be useful to run debug XFS, which may point to the problem.

Thanks,
Felix