Re: XFS and atime update strangeness

To: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS and atime update strangeness
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:35:35 +0200
Cc: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 23.06.2009 10:01, Felix Blyakher wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:36 AM, Michael Weissenbacher wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to enable permanent atime updates in case someone
>> wants them?
>
> That's another good request I'd like to address as well. The
> above mentioned patch just makes it behave as relatime.

Just to have it explictly mentioned a.k.a. just for the record.

strictatime is AWOL.

With current 2.6.30 you just can't have 'atime' because default was
changed to 'relatime' and the former default got the new option
'strictatime'(*). But if i want to mount a XFS-filesystem strictatime:
XFS: unknown mount option [strictatime]

*:
According to fs/namespace.c, line 795 and following these 4
atime-related options appear to be allowed:

{ MNT_NOATIME, ",noatime" },
{ MNT_NODIRATIME, ",nodiratime" },
{ MNT_RELATIME, ",relatime" },
{ MNT_STRICTATIME, ",strictatime" },