Re: [Acl-devel] Re: getfacl gives octal output for Hebrew user/group nam

To: acl-devel@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] Re: getfacl gives octal output for Hebrew user/group names
From: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:48:01 +0200
Cc: Anoop Vijayan <acv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 22 June 2009 09:30:12 Anoop Vijayan wrote:
> Also, acl_entry_to_any_str() in libacl/__acl_to_any_text.c calls quote.
> I could not find the corresponding unquote calls for these.

See acl_from_text() and several functions in setfacl/parse.c.

> If I wrap the above quote() calls with unquote(), the problem seems to be
> resolved. Attaching a patch for the same.

Yes, but this only proves that the quote and unquote functions work as
intended, it doesn't help fix the underlying problem at all that special
characters in file, user, or group names can mess up the output.

I have updated the quoting code in the acl and attr packages now so that it
will only quote a few special characters line newline, carriage return, and a
few delimiter characters. So this should work for Hebrew or other special
characters now.

Note that there is no way to not quote backslash as backslash is the escape
character used, so Samba names of the form "domain\user" will still be quoted.
It's possible to teach winbindd to use a different character; otherwise,
you'll have to live with the quoting.)

Thanks,
Andreas