Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?

To: Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:28:25 +0200
Cc: SuSE Linux <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sujit Karataparambil <sjt.kar@xxxxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 11.06.2009 23:38, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Re: "Grub supposedly unable to start if /boot is on xfs partition,
>    So, because grub is broken, XFS is no longer supported as    a boot
> partition by Novell/SuSE. (!)...

The report below says that grub can't WRITE to XFS.
Supposedly the 'default'-file. Don't know what else GRUB may want to write.
Which, depending on preference, is superfluous anyway.

So if you switch that off (don't know how, never used it myself) all
should be fine.

OTOH as long as you can live with a separate boot-partition, what's the
problem of formating it with ext2. fsck-times for a single/double-digit
MB boot-partition are negligible.

I've been using XFS for anything but boot-partitions for years.
IMHO GRUB is more important than free choice of boot-partition
filesystem. At least until GRUB2 is finished, whenever that happens.