Re: Kernel crash with 2.6.29 + nfs + xfs (radix-tree)

To: Martin Spott <Martin.Spott@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel crash with 2.6.29 + nfs + xfs (radix-tree)
From: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:27:20 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Jun 7, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Martin Spott wrote:

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

Sorry guys, still haven't been able to track it down.  Any chance one
of you could run with CONFIG_XFS_DEBUG enabled and see if it trips
over any of the asserts?

 "Say N unless you are an XFS developer, or you play one on TV."

Or unless you're told by an XFS developer :)

Very nice  ;-)

I'm have to regret that I'm neither an XFS developer nor do I pretend
to be one. Yet, as I understand, I should see at least _some_ debug
info via 'dmesg', if there is any. Apparently the kernel is now having
XFS with debugging enabled:

Jun 7 18:53:33 isnix1 kernel: SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, large block/inode numbers, debug enabled
Jun  7 18:53:33 isnix1 kernel: SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
Jun  7 18:53:33 isnix1 kernel: XFS mounting filesystem cciss/c0d0p2
[...]

....  but aside from the well-known messages as:

Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@xxxxxxxxxxxx).
NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state recovery
directory
NFSD: unable to find recovery directory /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery
NFSD: starting 90-second grace period
reconnect_path: npd != pd
reconnect_path: npd != pd
reconnect_path: npd != pd
[...]

....  I'm unable to find any helpful information in this context.

Have you already reproduced the crash with the debug kernel?
The xfs debug module would not necessarily produce the verbose log.
It does, however, have many asserts, which would crash much earlier
and provide more hints as to the reasons to your original crash.

Anything I could try - this sunday evening ?

If you haven't tried to reproduce the panic, try it now.

Good luck!
Felix

Cheers,
        Martin.