regarding the inode64 mount option

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: regarding the inode64 mount option
From: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:21:44 +0200
Hi XFS-List!
I understand that the inode64 mount option allows inodes to be created beyond
1TB. There are also certain performance problems that can be cured by using
this option when handling LOTS of inodes. During my tests i noticed that
enabling it is like a one-way street. Inodes created with inode64 enabled
aren't accessible when the option is left out.

Now i got a few questions:
- Does the inode64 option work only on 64bit architectures or is it also
possible to use it with i686
- Is there a way to convert the inodes back
- Why doesn't the filesystem remember that inode64 was used in the past and
enable it automatically
- Do i have to pass inode64 via grub / lilo if i want to use it on my root
filesystem

I haven't found any definitive clear documentation abount the pro's and con's,
so maybe you can give me some hints :-)

tia,
Michael