[Fwd: Re: Incorrect Free Space / xfs_growfs on RAID5 Volume ?]

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Incorrect Free Space / xfs_growfs on RAID5 Volume ?]
From: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 19:11:36 +0200
I just realized i didn't CC this to the list :-)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:46:07 +0200
Von: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: Svavar Örn Eysteinsson <svavar@xxxxxxxx>
Referenzen: <BC442FE9-64FC-4F3C-A5AA-25C890AABD3C@xxxxxxxx>

Hi Svavar!
> Now the strange part. When I issue “df -h” command it shows much smaller
> disk space added then it should have.

You have run into the 2TB limit for a DOS Paritition Table. You must use GPT
(GUID Partition Table) to overcome the limit. You can't use fdisk for that
since it has no GPT support. An alternative would be parted [1]. I'm not sure
how this can be done without data loss. An alternative would be to not use
partitions at all and create the XFS directly on /dev/sdb.
This is not really an XFS issue but an partitioning issue.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml

hth,
Michael