Re: XFS internal error xfs_trans_cancel at line 1164 of file fs/xfs/xfs_

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS internal error xfs_trans_cancel at line 1164 of file fs/xfs/xfs_trans.c
From: Eddie Atherton <stunnel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 21:06:43 -0700
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Dave Chinner wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:58:35PM -0700, Eddie Atherton wrote:

I'm trying to install a clean Slackware 12.2 (2.6.27.7) under ESXi, and
can almost guarantee getting this error immediately after formatting the
root partition.  It's happened 4 out of the 5 times I've tried, so far.

The sequence of commands, after digging through the install scripts,
that lead to this failure are just:

mkfs.xfs
mount
mkdir

That's bizarre. Can you provide a xfs_metadump image of the fs after
the shutdown has occurred?

I can try, but it's kinda difficult, as this happens in a VM, where I don't have a filesystem to capture the data to, or any "communication" to the "outside world" to transfer it out.  But, hey, that's what challenges are all about.

Cheers,
Eddie
Cheers,

Dave.