Re: quick question about filename length

To: Chris Walker <christopher.walker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: quick question about filename length
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:25:11 -0400
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 02:06:22PM -0400, Chris Walker wrote:
> Thanks for you quick reply, Eric.
>
> I have a user who is having filenames (path+filename) cut off at 255
> characters midway through a simulation -- but the problem must be
> elsewhere

XFS doesn't actually see the whole filename in normal operation (except
for copying out the data out of symbolic links), as the resolution to
individual components is done by the VFS.   Long file name should work
just fine on Linux and do in my test.  Maybe some buffer is sized using
incorrect in userspace?