Re: EXT vs XFS at 80% filled filesystem

To: Milind Dumbare <milind@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: EXT vs XFS at 80% filled filesystem
From: Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:34:50 -0400
Cc: linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 01:12:22PM +0530, Milind Dumbare wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have heard of XFS's performance is not good as compared to EXT3 when
> the filesystem(disk) is 80% filled with data. Is it true? I have went
> through lots of performance documents of both XFS and EXT3 but could not
> find such performance benchmarking (for 80% full filesystems).

I've not heard of any such performance metrics, and I suspect it would
very much depend on how the filesystem was "aged".  A filesystem that
has been in use for a few years and is at 80% capacity will behave
very different from a brand-new filesystem which was freshly formatted
and then filled with a few large files until said filesystem was 80%
full.

                                                        - Ted