Re: crashes with xfs_fsr in 2.6.25-2-amd64 and 2.6.26-1-amd64 (debian) (

To: Marc Lehmann <schmorp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: crashes with xfs_fsr in 2.6.25-2-amd64 and 2.6.26-1-amd64 (debian) (f'up)
From: "Nathaniel W. Turner" <nate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:29:23 -0400
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Marc,

Marc Lehmann wrote:
It also happens to the same filesystem each time (maybe because
it does the heavy I/O),a and it is also the same filesystem where
xfs_repair hangs in an endless loop often (but not always). (see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=525880)

The filesystem was created a month or so ago using blocksize of 512 and
lazy-count=1, but I have many of those xfs filesystems.

Since this is a production system and I have no backup abilities, I have
to no choice but to reformat the disk now.
I'm not sure about the root cause of your crash, but I just wanted to mention that before you blow away this filesystem, you should probably try repairing it with a recent version of xfs_repair (like 3.0.0).
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/cmd_tars/

Also, I have seen similar problems to those described in Debian bug 525880 with xfs_repair not making progress (although I'm running 32-bit), and adding "-P" to the xfs_repair invocation helped in many cases.

Cheers,
nate

--
Nathaniel W. Turner