Re: generating uevents by xfs

To: Krzysztof Bâaszkowski <kb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: generating uevents by xfs
From: Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:50:38 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Krzysztof Bâaszkowski <kb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> once upon i was asked to think about such facility for notifying userspace
> when some mount point is nearly full at some level let's say e.g. 90%
> (threshold should be configurable).
>
> here is a solution designed by me and i would like to see comments on this
> idea and solution.

It doesn't seem to be very useful to poll in kernel for this. When you're
in kernel you could just hook into the respective functions that handle
disk allocation directly. Polling can be as well done in user space only,
so it doesn't make too much sense to put polling code into the kernel.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.