Re: future of xfs, oss.sgi.com after sgi purchased?

To: "Linda A. Walsh" <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: future of xfs, oss.sgi.com after sgi purchased?
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:54:08 -0500
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Linda A. Walsh wrote:
> Not one to beat about the bush, but curious from a practical sense,
>
> If sgi is being bought by another company, is there any idea about
> the plans
> for the xfs file system or the source code on 'oss.sgi.com'?
>
> I'm _guessing_ that there is some interest in users and developers
> to keep xfs alive after the 'sgi' moniker is purchased, but that
> begs the question about the new company wanting to support the old
> 'sgi.com' websites including
> oss.sgi.com.
It is probably to soon to actually speculate as to what is going to
happen with oss.sgi.com once the sale of SGI happens.

But is it probably worth while to understand oss has been primarily a
volunteer effort for probably the last 5 years or more.
There is nobody at SGI officially responsible for oss, most of the
system maintenance is handled by Trevor Hurst (who does work at sgi)
and myself (who does not), and the efforts of other external
volunteers. The system itself is 2 processor Altix owned and housed by
SGI in one of their data
centers in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin.

The XFS project also has xfs.org, which I also maintain independent of
SGI systems and I will continue to do so for as long
as XFS is alive and kicking.

> Is there a danger of oss.sgi.com suddenly being yanked offline with
> little to no warning, such that community members should start
> keeping up-to-date, or is it already mirrored?  I'm assuming that
> the current source code repository only exists on oss.sgi.com?
> Should it be mirrored on some other external open-source site?
> sourceforge? google? mozilla?
Most things (git, cvs, mail list/archives etc)  are being mirrored at
xfs.org as a precautionary measure against any sort of outage for
quite some time now.

I highly doubt there will be any sudden "yanking" of systems.

> Is completely worthless to discuss new, desired features in some of
> the utils? Will it be possible to support the xfs codebase if its
> development no longer becomes necessary to sgi (or its parent company)?
Well that is up to you I suppose, but given the number of external
people willing to keep XFS going I suspect you will be able
to find more than enough conversation about future development.