Re: future of xfs, oss.sgi.com after sgi purchased?

To: "Linda A. Walsh" <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: future of xfs, oss.sgi.com after sgi purchased?
From: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 01:05:00 -0500
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Apr 15, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Linda A. Walsh wrote:

Not one to beat about the bush, but curious from a practical sense,

If sgi is being bought by another company, is there any idea about the plans
for the xfs file system or the source code on 'oss.sgi.com'?

The rumors of the death of xfs team at SGI are a little bit
premature.

I'm _guessing_ that there is some interest in users and developers to keep xfs alive after the 'sgi' moniker is purchased, but that begs the question about the new company wanting to support the old 'sgi.com' websites including
oss.sgi.com.

Is there a danger of oss.sgi.com suddenly being yanked offline with little to no warning,

I doubt it'll happen in any circumstances.

such that community members should start keeping up-to-date, or is it already mirrored? I'm assuming that the current source code repository only exists on oss.sgi.com?

There is nothing on oss.sgi.com xfs-wise that is not in Linus' tree.

Should it be mirrored on some other external open-source site? sourceforge? google? mozilla?

With git you don't really need a true mirror. And official clones of
both kernel and the userland xfs already exist on kernel.org.

Is completely worthless to discuss new, desired features in some of the utils? Will it be possible to support the xfs codebase if its development no longer becomes necessary to sgi (or its parent company)?

I hope that wouldn't happen. Though, while it'll be loss for xfs
in this unlikely scenario, I think, there is enough critical mass
outside of sgi to continue support and move forward xfs.

Felix
xfs maintainer, still at sgi