Re: future of xfs, oss.sgi.com after sgi purchased?

To: "Linda A. Walsh" <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: future of xfs, oss.sgi.com after sgi purchased?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:41:27 -0500
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Linda A. Walsh wrote:
> Not one to beat about the bush, but curious from a practical sense,
>
> If sgi is being bought by another company, is there any idea about the plans
> for the xfs file system or the source code on 'oss.sgi.com'?
>
> I'm _guessing_ that there is some interest in users and developers to keep
> xfs
> alive after the 'sgi' moniker is purchased, but that begs the question about
> the
> new company wanting to support the old 'sgi.com' websites including
> oss.sgi.com.
>
> Is there a danger of oss.sgi.com suddenly being yanked offline with little to
> no
> warning, such that community members should start keeping up-to-date, or is
> it
> already mirrored?  I'm assuming that the current source code repository only
> exists on oss.sgi.com?  Should it be mirrored on some other external
> open-source
> site?  sourceforge? google? mozilla?

While I doubt that oss.sgi.com would abruptly vanish, there are
nonetheless already git repos on kernel.org, which are sometimes even
ahead of what's on oss.sgi.com ... xfs.org has a lot of content as well.
 Mailing list archives exist at various other sites.

There are also ftp mirrors around, though I think that's less important.

> Is completely worthless to discuss new, desired features in some of the
> utils?
> Will it be possible to support the xfs codebase if its development no longer
> becomes necessary to sgi (or its parent company)?

If you look at commit logs or carefully read the mailing list over the
last 6 months or so, I think you'll find that xfs maintenance and
development is not wholly dependent on contributions from sgi employees.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=history;f=fs/xfs;hb=HEAD

-Eric