Re: XFS support for TRIM / blkdev_issue_discard?

To: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS support for TRIM / blkdev_issue_discard?
From: Peter Niemayer <niemayer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:43:58 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Felix Blyakher wrote:
do you know whether there are plans to support the ATA TRIM command /
blkdev_issue_discard() call in XFS for Linux anytime soon?

This topic was indeed brought up in xfs discussions.
Though, we don't have any definite plans on supporting it yet.
That doesn't mean that we oppose to it, just the lack of
resources at the moment.
Your mail will bring it up for discussion again.

Thanks a lot for your information!

Of course, I volunteer to help with testing & qualified feed-back.
I might even help with the implementation if you can tell me
where to look for the (hopefully well defined ;-) place in the
filesystem code where sectors become known not to contain relevant
data anymore.
But since I'm unfamiliar with kernel-filesystem programming, it
might take longer answering my questions then somebody involved
with XFS already would need to insert the blkdev_issue_discard()
calls.

Regards,

Peter Niemayer