Re: XFS support for TRIM / blkdev_issue_discard?

To: Peter Niemayer <niemayer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS support for TRIM / blkdev_issue_discard?
From: Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:32:35 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Apr 14, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Peter Niemayer wrote:

Dear Felix Blyakher,

Hi Peter,

do you know whether there are plans to support the ATA TRIM command /
blkdev_issue_discard() call in XFS for Linux anytime soon?

This topic was indeed brought up in xfs discussions.
Though, we don't have any definite plans on supporting it yet.
That doesn't mean that we oppose to it, just the lack of
resources at the moment.
Your mail will bring it up for discussion again.

Stay tuned,
Felix

I ask because as someone who is currently benchmarking solid state disks for certain usage scenarios I noticed that other filesystems are starting
to support the discarding of unused blocks, which allows to prevent
performance-degradation of SSDs during heavy use.
(See e.g. http://www.mail-archive.com/cluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxx/msg03401.html
on the GFS2 support for the discard feature, it seems not too hard
to implement the support)

Amongst other SSDs, we have one in our tests that supports the ATA TRIM command,
and I would like to test the benefits of it, even if that requires me
to install an early kernel pre-release.

(Currently, XFS is our favorite filesystem for several reasons, so it would
be great if we could run our TRIM-support-benchmarks using it)

Regards,

Peter Niemayer