Re: Build xfs 3.0 deb problem

To: Thomas Tsai <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Build xfs 3.0 deb problem
From: Nathan Scott <nscott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:10:14 +1000 (EST)
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
----- "Thomas Tsai" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> tkx for reply soon.
>
> My package name is partclone(partclone.org), like partimage, but I

Sounds like xfs_copy(8)?

> used libxfs to check bitmap/super block and backup xfs partition. It's
> GPL licensed.
>
> We need GPL tool to backup XFS partition. The partimage can do that
> but get some problems(not based on the xfs library).
> The xfs library you maintained well, and it's why I use xfslibs-dev's
> liarbry to write backup tool, "partclone.xfs" .

Can this use xfs_copy directly?

> so..., may I use xfslibs-dev to build partclone?
> or stop it and remove?

Its historically proved disasterous having ondisk filesystem knowledge
in tools (e.g. grub) ... and restricts what filesystem developers can
do in terms of extending their ondisk formats, somewhat.  It'd be alot
better if you could use a tool shipped by the XFS folk rather than one
you write yourself (libxfs is a very error prone interface modelled on
kernel code, it wasn't designed as a general purpose API).

cheers.

--
Nathan