Re: How to configure 36 disks ?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to configure 36 disks ?
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:31:03 +0100
(I sent this mail on Tue 23:40 CET, but it seems it didn't arrive on the
list. At least I didn't receive it. So I send again)

On Montag 23 März 2009 Raz wrote:
> 1. redundancy.
> 2. performance.

First, you should have bought enclosures with included RAID controllers,
then you'd be finished already.

But then, I guess you wanted to save the money, but at least go get some
real hardware RAID controller. Look at Areca ( http://www.areca.com.tw )
if you use Linux or Windows, the 1680 series SAS controllers can cope
with SAS/SATA drives, up to 128 drives per controller. You can put a
cache up to 4GB on the controller, and a battery backup module that
protects your data in case of power outages. Those controllers are
blazing fast, have good admin tools, send you an e-mail in case of
problems, and they used it in the video that Chris mentioned:
http://blogs.sun.com/observatory/entry/don_t_shout_at_your

In the end you see they used an Areca 16port, plus an Adaptec 8port (I
guess because they only had the Areca in 16port available).

Then configure a RAID-60 or whatever you like.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4