Re: accidentally deleted very large file (3.5TB) but still available thr

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: accidentally deleted very large file (3.5TB) but still available through loop device
From: Chris Allen <chris@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:43:33 +0000

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Chris Allen wrote:
Hi,

In a nutshell, I did the following:

1. dd if=some_filesystem_dump of=some_file (where some_file resides on
an XFS filesystem and is 3.5TB large)

2. losetup /dev/loop0 some_file

3. mount /dev/loop0 /recovered

[.... i can now access my recovered filesystem through /recovered ...]

4. rm some_file (remotely via an nfs export) (oops!)

So, I just removed my 3.5TB file even though it is attached to the loop
device and mounted (XFS did this almost instantly).

I'd suggest:

# xfs_freeze -f /recovered
# dd if=/dev/loop0 of=saved_file
# xfs_freeze -u /recovered

to be sure you get a consistent view of the fs.

-Eric

Many thanks to those who have replied. This solution does indeed work perfectly and
I have recovered my lost file.

Chris.