accidentally deleted very large file (3.5TB) but still available through

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: accidentally deleted very large file (3.5TB) but still available through loop device
From: Chris Allen <chris@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:41:21 +0000
Hi,

In a nutshell, I did the following:

1. dd if=some_filesystem_dump of=some_file (where some_file resides on an XFS filesystem and is 3.5TB large)

2. losetup /dev/loop0 some_file

3. mount /dev/loop0 /recovered

[.... i can now access my recovered filesystem through /recovered ...]

4. rm some_file (remotely via an nfs export) (oops!)

So, I just removed my 3.5TB file even though it is attached to the loop device and mounted (XFS did this almost instantly).

Now it *appears* that the filesystem as attached to /dev/loop0 and mounted on /recovered is still OK. I
can cd around it and copy files off.

So I have these questions:

1. Is there any way I can get back the 1 file that I accidentally deleted (nothing else has been written to that partition since)

2. Am I safe in accessing my filesystem through /dev/loop0 and /recovered even though the underlying file has been zapped? If so
I can quickly copy everything off onto another partition.

3. Will this command: dd if=/dev/loop0 of=saved_file get my file back?

Many thanks for any advice!