Re: Lost files + indentical Foldernames on XFS Partition

To: Steffen.Knauf@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Lost files + indentical Foldernames on XFS Partition
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:12:23 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steffen Knauf wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> today i have a strange behavior. I have a a directory which contains
>>> lots of indentical Folders with the same Name and Inode.
>>>
>> What kernel?
>
> Linux version 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.1.2
> 20070115 (SUSE Linux))

Would probably be good to try an upstream kernel to see if it persists,
if you can; otherwise for an older distro kernel like this, a report to
SuSE would be in order.

>> Can you cut and paste what you see?
>
> Really strange is that if execute only a 'ls' command the files are
> shown twice:
>
> combine_sbn.0051.tga
> combine_sbn.0051.tga
>
> But if i execute 'ls -il' the output looks like this:
>
> combine_sbn.0051.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> combine_sbn.0057.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> combine_sbn.0058.tga: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

so the filename is in the directory but doesn't point to a valid file I
guess.

> Here a directory example:
>
> 2147642598 drwxrwxrwx 2 500 500 4096 2009-03-17 12:33
> S14-01_Fische_beauty_Main
> 2147642598 drwxrwxrwx 2 500 500 4096 2009-03-17 12:33
> S14-01_Fische_beauty_Main
>
>>> I don't create Hardlinks or something else. On the other side some files
>>> are suddenly vanished. A "ls -al" result in the following error:
>>> "Access  to bla not possible: File or Directory not found."
>>> I don't find some Errormessages in the logfile. I don't know whether a
>>> xfs_check make sense.
>>>
>> xfs_repair -n will check the filesystem without actually modifying anything.
>>
> I'll try it....

You could also create an xfs_metadump to save for later investigation.

-Eric