Re: issues with project quota over nfs

To: brian wince <bswince@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: issues with project quota over nfs
From: Greg Banks <gnb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:19:41 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
brian wince wrote:
> All,
> We have a Quad-core server running gentoo 2.6.27-r7 that is used as an
> nfs server for a xfs partition.
> We are using project quota's on directories within this partition and
> exporting this.
> When a client tries to untar in the dir with project quotas set and
> reaches the quota limit the load on the NFS server goes up
> dramatically and stays like this for a few minutes after the tar has
> gone through trying to write all of it files and failing due to quota
> limit exceeded.
>
> Is this a known issue and if so is there anything that can be done to
> resolve this.

You probably want to update the client kernels to have this commit:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux-2.6.git&a=commit&h=7b159fc18d417980f57aef64cab3417ee6af70f8

You should ask NFS questions on the NFS list, linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Greg Banks, P.Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
the brightly coloured sporks of revolution.