Re: LWN article: 4K disk sectors

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LWN article: 4K disk sectors
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:17:47 +0100
Am Donnerstag 12 März 2009 schrieb Michael Monnerie:
> On Donnerstag 12 März 2009 Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Take a look at the mkfs.xfs man page:
> >
> >        -s sector_size
> >               This option specifies the fundamental  sector  size  of
> >               the filesystem.  The sector_size is specified either as
> >               a value in bytes with size=value or as a base two loga-
> >               rithm value with log=value.  The default sector_size is
> >               512 bytes. The minimum value for sector  size  is  512;
> >               the  maximum is 32768 (32 KiB). The sector_size must be
> >               a power of 2 size and cannot be made  larger  than  the
> >               filesystem block size.
>
> Ugh, I felt so good this morning, until you responded ... ;-)
>
> I thought that it's a limitation of the Linux kernel in more parts than
> just the filesystem (like block cache), that sector sizes must be 512B.
> If I had a 4K drive, would that be usable with XFS already?

I have an USB stick with 2KB hardware sector size. It worked nicely when
using fdisk instead of cfdisk which only supports 512 byte sectors. Dunno
remember exactly which filesystems I tried back then.

And first I wondered why it had a partition in the first quarter of it and
then empty space. I thought it might have been a fake 1 GB stick, but
still just deleted the partition and made it size the whole disk in
cfdisk - well at least I thought I did. The Linux kernel complained about
writing beyond end of device while mkfsing, I think it was an ext3.