Re: LWN article: ext4 and data loss

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LWN article: ext4 and data loss
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:14:11 +0100
Am Donnerstag 12 März 2009 schrieb Eric Sandeen:
> Michael Monnerie wrote:
> > http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/322823/e6979f02e5a73feb/
> >
> > Very good, maybe similar patches for XFS would help?
> > IANA Coder, but could be a hint.
> >
> > mfg zmi
>
> ext4 is taking its hints from XFS in this regard, not the other way
> around.  XFS dealt with this long ago.

Hmmm, I remember having had similar issues with XFS not to long ago, where
at least some KDE configuration were lost or truncated. It seems
applications will have to get rid of behavioral assumptions regation
filesystem and use safe writing via fsync and whatever else for
configuration and other important files.

I am thinking about a bug report for KDE at least.