Re: [patch] fix parallel build failures in xfsprogs-3.0.0

To: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch] fix parallel build failures in xfsprogs-3.0.0
From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:17:28 -0500
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xfs-oss" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thursday 26 February 2009 07:23:08 Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> On Thursday 26 February 2009 02:03:29 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > This functionality already exists (in both the acl and attr packages).
> >
> > was this in the last release (2.4.43) ?  either way, can you highlight
> > the code you're referring to so there's no confusion on my part ;)
>
> Hmm ... so there code that this patch adds to include/gettext.h already
> exists in include/config.h.in, but ENABLE_GETTEXT isn't being defined
> anywhere. So this part of your patch still seems to be needed, in both the
> attr and acl packages.
>
> When I add it, I get this far:
>
>       $ make aclocal.m4
>       $ autoconf
>       configure:3493: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
>
> It turns out that aclocal.m4 is created with only the macros in the m4/
> directory, and AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is not among them; this can be checked with:
>
>       $ aclocal --acdir=m4 --verbose
>
> This would usually be fixed by including the macros in m4/ in addition, but
> then I run into the next problem:
>
>       $ aclocal -I m4
>       $ autoconf
>       [...]
>       configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
>
> As per one of the libtool info pages,
>
> > In order to use libtool, you need to include the following files with
> > your package:
> >
> > `config.guess'
> >      Attempt to guess a canonical system name.
> >
> > `config.sub'
> >      Canonical system name validation subroutine script.
> >
> > `install-sh'
> >      BSD-compatible `install' replacement script.
> >
> > `ltmain.sh'
> >      A generic script implementing basic libtool functionality.
>
> after adding config.guess, config.sub from automake, and ltmain.sh from
> libtool (we already have our own install-sh), the package builds again.
>
> I'm attaching a diff relative to the current repo excluding config.guess,
> config.sub, and ltmain.sh which should be on your systems from automake and
> libtool already.
>
> This is quite insane. Is there a more reasonable way?

yes.  i dont know why the xfs progs have been packaging these autogenerated
files by themselves.

- remove aclocal.m4 from git
- run `aclocal -I m4`
- run `libtoolize -c -f`
- run `autoconf`
- copy the remaining files libtool wanted (normally created by automake, but
acl isnt using automake, so we cant use it to copy the files for us)
-mike