Re: [patch] fix parallel build failures in xfsprogs-3.0.0

To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch] fix parallel build failures in xfsprogs-3.0.0
From: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:23:08 +0100
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Felix Blyakher <felixb@xxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xfs-oss" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thursday 26 February 2009 02:03:29 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 19:26:14 Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 25 February 2009 0:45:25 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > and for attr.git:
> > > http://sources.gentoo.org/sys-apps/attr/files/attr-2.4.39-gettext.patch
> >
> > This functionality already exists (in both the acl and attr packages).
>
> was this in the last release (2.4.43) ?  either way, can you highlight the
> code you're referring to so there's no confusion on my part ;)

Hmm ... so there code that this patch adds to include/gettext.h already exists
in include/config.h.in, but ENABLE_GETTEXT isn't being defined anywhere. So
this part of your patch still seems to be needed, in both the attr and acl
packages.

When I add it, I get this far:

        $ make aclocal.m4
        $ autoconf
        configure:3493: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.

It turns out that aclocal.m4 is created with only the macros in the m4/
directory, and AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is not among them; this can be checked with:

        $ aclocal --acdir=m4 --verbose

This would usually be fixed by including the macros in m4/ in addition, but
then I run into the next problem:

        $ aclocal -I m4
        $ autoconf
        [...]
        configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub

As per one of the libtool info pages,

> In order to use libtool, you need to include the following files with
> your package:
>
> `config.guess'
>      Attempt to guess a canonical system name.
>
> `config.sub'
>      Canonical system name validation subroutine script.
>
> `install-sh'
>      BSD-compatible `install' replacement script.
>
> `ltmain.sh'
>      A generic script implementing basic libtool functionality.

after adding config.guess, config.sub from automake, and ltmain.sh from
libtool (we already have our own install-sh), the package builds again.

I'm attaching a diff relative to the current repo excluding config.guess,
config.sub, and ltmain.sh which should be on your systems from automake and
libtool already.

This is quite insane. Is there a more reasonable way?

Thanks,
Andreas