Re: XFS on ARM-based Linux on USR8700 NAS appliance w/ mdadm/RAID5

To: Harry Mangalam <harry.mangalam@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS on ARM-based Linux on USR8700 NAS appliance w/ mdadm/RAID5
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:31:42 -0600
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Harry Mangalam wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response Eric!
>
> On Monday 23 February 2009, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Harry Mangalam wrote:
>>> Here's an unusual (long) tale of woe.
>>>
>>> We had a USRobotics 8700 NAS appliance with 4 SATA disks in
>>> RAID5:
>
> <snip>
>
>> However this wouldn't cause a superblock mis-read like this.  If
>> you get it mounted, you *may* run into what looks like directory
>> corruption on the PC, though, due to the alignment issue.
>>
>> Anyway, first, I'd look around for "XFSB" in the early few blocks
>> of your raid and see if the raid might possibly have been rebuilt
>> out of order.
>>
>> # dd if=/dev/md0 bs=4k count=32 | hexdump -C | grep XFSB
>>
>> or so...
>>
>> -Eric
>
> No, I didn't find this - I did find some disk ID header stuff which
> confirms that the filesystem is XFS and some other info that might be
> useful, but no XFSB strings, even grepping 8MB into the device.
>
> |<IPStorPartition|
> | version="3.0" s|
> |ize="595" owner=|
> |"NACS-SW-DIST" c|
> |hecksum="" signa|
> |ture="IpStOrDyNa|
> |MiCdIsK" dataSta|
> |rtAtSectorNo="16|

.... knowing the offsets of these might be helpful.  But perhaps you are
simply not trying to mount the thing which actually has xfs on it.

I don't know what IPStore is.  Perhaps your volume is encrypted?
Dunno... at any rate, doesn't seem at first glance like it's an xfs
problem, I'm afraid.

> |firstSector="222|
> |72" lastSector="|
> |2928740095" owne|

I might look at sector 22272 (about 10MB in) and see if that looks like
xfs :)

Or maybe just put it back in the NAS box, now, assembled the same way.

-Eric