Re: 12x performance drop on md/linux+sw raid1 due to barriers [xfs]

To: Peter Grandi <pg_xf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 12x performance drop on md/linux+sw raid1 due to barriers [xfs]
From: Leon Woestenberg <leonw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:14:22 +0100
Cc: Linux XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello,

On 15 dec 2008, at 23:50, Peter Grandi wrote:

[ ... ]

The purpose of barriers is to guarantee that relevant data is
known to be on persistent storage (kind of hardware 'fsync').

[ ... ] Unfortunately in my understanding none of this is
reflected by Documentation/block/barrier.txt

But we are talking about XFS and barriers here. That described
just a (flawed, buggy) mechanism to implement those. Consider
for example:

 http://www.xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Write_barrier_support.

http://www.xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q._Should_barriers_be_enabled_with_storage_which_has_a_persistent_write_cache.3F

In any case as to the kernel "barrier" mechanism, its
description is misleading because it heavily fixates on the
ordering issue, which is just a consequence, but yet mentions
the far more important "flush/sync" aspect.

Still, there is a lot of confusion about barrier support and
what it means at which level, as reflected in several online
discussions and the different behaviour of different kernel
versions.

The semantics of a barrier are whatever semantics we describe to it. So we can continue to be confused about it.

I strongly disagree on the ordering issue being a side effect.

Correct ordering can be proven to be enough to provide transactional correctness, enough to ensure that filesystems can not get corrupted on power down.

Using barriers to guarantee that (all submitted) write requests (before the barrier) made it to the medium are a stronger predicate.

The Linux approach and documentation talks about the first type of semantics (which I rather like for them being strong enough and not more).

Regards,

Leon