XFS and XEN

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS and XEN
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:59:54 +0100
Now I'm sure that the following configuration can destroy a PostgreSQL
8.3.5 database:

* Linux host with XEN, XFS filesystem with "nobarrier", RAID controller
with battery backed cache.
* XEN vm with XFS filesystem with "nobarrier" with postgresql
* your daughter with 3.5 years switching off the power supply of the
server

I guess one shouldn't use "nobarrier" on a XEN XFS domU machine.
Would that help? I'd like to enter this in the FAQ, as people (including
me) will be very upset to loose data, or destroy databases.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4