Re: XFS corruption on ubuntu 2.6.27-9-server

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS corruption on ubuntu 2.6.27-9-server
From: George Barnett <george@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:53:38 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 04/02/2009, at 12:46 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

bad version number 0x0 on inode 18046
bad magic number 0x0 on inode 18047
bad version number 0x0 on inode 18047
bad directory block magic # 0 in block 0 for directory inode 18000

Interesting that all the bad magic numbers were 0... not sure what to
make of that, offhand, I'm afraid...

Oh dear.

I'm going to try moving the filesystem to ext3 to see if this continues. If it does, it would suggest a bug in the underlying raid10 implementation or a problem with the disks, although they're not reporting any errors [1].

Is there any further debugging I can do before I start fresh?

George

1. The hardware ecc recovered smartctl metric is /very/ high, although I'm told this may be normal for samsung drives. I cant think of any way to confirm a disk problem without a CRC checking fs though.