No space left on device on xfs filesystem with 1.6TB free

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: No space left on device on xfs filesystem with 1.6TB free
From: Owen Dunn <osd1000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:33:10 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: Owen Dunn <osd1000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I'm running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2, on a 32-bit i386 Linux machine with kernel version 2.6.16.60-0.33-smp. I appear to have version 2.9.4 of xfsprogs.

I have a 6TB xfs filesystem which has been grown twice from 2TB, and which appears to have 1.6TB and plenty of inodes free. However, attempts to create a new file fail with ENOSPC:

sf3:/EXPORT/space # touch splat
touch: cannot touch `splat': No space left on device
sf3:/EXPORT/space # df -h .
/dev/mapper/bigvg-lv1
                      6.0T  4.5T  1.6T  75% /EXPORT/space
sf3:/EXPORT/space # df -ih .
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/bigvg-lv1
                        4.0G    887K    4.0G    1% /EXPORT/space

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it? xfs_check stops straight away with `out of memory' and xfs_repair stops in Phase 6, presumably when it finds itself unable to make a new lost+found directory.

Owen