Re: mkfs.xfs with a 9TB realtime volume hangs

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Wagner <jwagner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mkfs.xfs with a 9TB realtime volume hangs
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 07:46:24 -0600
Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 03:13:23PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>> With the default 4k extent size this takes forever (the man page claims
>> default is 64k, maybe this got broken at some point).
>
> It got changed a few years back by Nathan, IIRC.

Yep, I found the commit yesterday, it was for buffered IO's benefit on
the rt subvol, to reduce unwritten extent conversion IIRC.

I was going to follow up w/ the commit etc yesterday, but the mailing
list was down (again, sigh - this is indicative of sgi's staunch
commitment to xfs, I'm sure) so had nothing to reply to.

-Eric