RE: retrocompatibility XFS 2.10.1 with 2.8.1 ?

To: <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: retrocompatibility XFS 2.10.1 with 2.8.1 ?
From: Tritium Tritium <tritium_helium@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:03:09 +0000
Cc: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thanks for you response !

unfortunately , I don't know the kernel version of my Adsl Box .
I search in documentation and I don't find any item about a parameter which
take a compatibility with old xfs support .

Thanks and I hope see you later !
Vince.

> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:10:14 +1100
> From: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: tritium_helium@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: retrocompatibility XFS 2.10.1 with 2.8.1 ?
>
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:04:30PM +0000, Tritium Tritium wrote:
> >
> > HI !
> >
> > In first, I 'm a french user and sorry for my very bad english ...
> > For an Adsl Box, I want to partitionning and format my external hard disk
> > drive under XFS .What a good idea , isn't it ? ;o)
> > I get my Mandriva One (I know it isn't a "professionnal" distribution but
> > you know the French search the simple thing !) and use fdisk -l , gparted
> > and mkfs.xfs /dev/xxx .
> > With this, the adsl box reboot ! And of course it doesn't recognize the
> > partition.
> > I tried with a Debian Etch XFS ... and this is a SUCCESS !
> > When I compare XFS versions I find a 2.10.1 for Mandriva and 2.8.1 for
> > Debian.
>
> The defaults mkfs.xfs uses in 2.10.1 are different to 2.8.1. The
> newer version enables features that are only availble in more recent
> kernels (since about 2.6.19, IIRC), so it would seem that your ADSL
> box has an old kernel on it that does not support the newer, faster,
> shinier features XFS has....
>
> The kernel version of your ADSL box, as well as the mkfs.xfs output
> from both distro's would help confirm this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
> --
> Dave Chinner
> david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Téléphonez gratuitement à tous vos proches avec Windows Live Messenger  !
Téléchargez-le maintenant !
http://www.windowslive.fr/messenger/1.asp

[[HTML alternate version deleted]]