Re: retrocompatibility XFS 2.10.1 with 2.8.1 ?

To: Tritium Tritium <tritium_helium@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: retrocompatibility XFS 2.10.1 with 2.8.1 ?
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:10:14 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:04:30PM +0000, Tritium Tritium wrote:

> HI !
>
> In first, I 'm a french user and sorry for my very bad english ...
> For an Adsl Box, I want to partitionning and format my external hard disk
> drive under XFS .What a good idea , isn't it ? ;o)
> I get my Mandriva One (I know it isn't a "professionnal" distribution but you
> know the French search the simple thing !) and use fdisk -l , gparted and
> mkfs.xfs /dev/xxx .
> With this, the adsl box reboot ! And of course it doesn't recognize the
> partition.
> I tried with a Debian Etch XFS ... and this is a SUCCESS !
> When I compare XFS versions I find a 2.10.1 for Mandriva and 2.8.1 for Debian.

The defaults mkfs.xfs uses in 2.10.1 are different to 2.8.1. The
newer version enables features that are only availble in more recent
kernels (since about 2.6.19, IIRC), so it would seem that your ADSL
box has an old kernel on it that does not support the newer, faster,
shinier features XFS has....

The kernel version of your ADSL box, as well as the mkfs.xfs output
from both distro's would help confirm this.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner