retrocompatibility XFS 2.10.1 with 2.8.1 ?

To: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: retrocompatibility XFS 2.10.1 with 2.8.1 ?
From: Tritium Tritium <tritium_helium@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:04:30 +0000
HI !

In first, I 'm a french user and sorry for my very bad english ...
For an Adsl Box, I want to partitionning and format my external hard disk drive
under XFS .What a good idea , isn't it ? ;o)
I get my Mandriva One (I know it isn't a "professionnal" distribution but you
know the French search the simple thing !) and use fdisk -l , gparted and
mkfs.xfs /dev/xxx .
With this, the adsl box reboot ! And of course it doesn't recognize the
partition.
I tried with a Debian Etch XFS ... and this is a SUCCESS !
When I compare XFS versions I find a 2.10.1 for Mandriva and 2.8.1 for Debian.

Why the same command under two differents versions produce two format
incompatible ?
Why the XFS 2.10.1 version is not compatible with the 2.8.1 ?

It's a trap for newbie who get a old hardware under linux ...

Thanks for your patience .

Reguards

Vince.

Téléphonez gratuitement à tous vos proches avec Windows Live Messenger  !
Téléchargez-le maintenant !
http://www.windowslive.fr/messenger/1.asp

[[HTML alternate version deleted]]