Re: massively truncated files with XFS with sudden power loss on 2.6.27

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: massively truncated files with XFS with sudden power loss on 2.6.27 and 2.6.28
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:14:25 -0800
Cc: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:08:53PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> It is certainly at least possible that whatever is writing the KDE
> files is not following good practices for data integrity... I can't
> say that for sure, but apps have responsibility here, too.  :)

BTW, it's not just KDE that does this.  A lot of apps that IMO should
be more careful aren't.

For example apt/dpkg on debian.  It's possible if you lose
power/oops/whatever during upgrade you can eat those files and cause
much pain.

It's bad enough I started work on a replacement for these that uses
sqlite.