Re: How do I tell if my partition is aligned for a 64k/RAID-6?

To: Michal Soltys <soltys@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How do I tell if my partition is aligned for a 64k/RAID-6?
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 18:46:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Michal Soltys wrote:

I am not worried about the filesystem as the defaults usually get it right but with parted, this is the first time I had to use it for home use and with RAID-6 I am noticing slower performance with 15 disks (1 is a spare) in RAID-6 (albeit slower 7200 ones, RE3s) than I was getting with 10 raptor150s in RAID-6 (but I had used fdisk there).

Justin.

For best effect - partition should start at 1920th sector (stripe width
boundary), and su/sw should be appropriately set - su=64k,sw=13 in your
case. Parted shows the values normally - from the beginning of the volume, 0 based.

ps.

I dropped some of CCs.

Thanks.