Re: XFS over SSD

To: Raz <raziebe@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS over SSD
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 08:31:13 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Raz wrote:

I am thinking of using XFS over a SSD disk.
I am currently using XFS on an Intel X25-E with the logdev internal, using the defaults. I see the point for putting the journal elsewhere; however, that may defeat the purpose of an SSD, if its latency is 0.01 or 0.001 and the HDD is 8-14ms, then it may defeat the purpose for writes or fast access anyhow?

1. Can I separate xfs meta data ( not just the logging) from
the SSD ? > can I put the meta on a different disk ?
Yes, see the logdev option on the mkfs.xfs manpage.

2. When does a file's meta ( its block maps ) is being flushed to disk
? can I control it ?
I am not sure you can control this, will let the XFS devs/others take on this question.