Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New XFS git tree on oss.sgi.com
From: Niv Sardi <xaiki@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:37:27 +1100
Cc: lachlan@xxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
>
>> Russell Cattelan wrote:

>>> Specifically this page please.
>>> http://xfs.org/index.php/Getting_the_latest_source_code> Sure.  I didn't
>>> even know that page existed.
>>

>>> Maybe add a quick tutorial on git branches and how to create tracking
>>> branches for this tree.
>> Can we just point people at an existing git tutorial?  Or are you wanting
>> something specific to our processes?
> most git tutorials seem to be specific to one particular process so
> maybe a link to
> a reasonable howto and then a few extra examples blurbs on how to create
> and deal
> with tracking branches.
>
> Maybe how to create tracking clones for each branch if that is what
> people want to do.
>
> Personally I like branches as they help keep the tree cluster down and I
> don't have to think
> up naming schemes to help me remember what is what, but sounds like some
> people may
> like having multiple clones.

Sorry, I've been droped out, the mailining list change confused my
procmail.

$ git clone git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs.git

# checking out xfs-dev and making it track the repo:
$ git checkout -b xfs-dev --track origin/xfs-dev

# adding a remote
$ git remote add $name $remoteurl
$ git remote udpate

that will put your remote branches in the $name/$branch namespace.

Anything else ?