Re: 2.6.27.7 vanilla, project quota enabled and process stuck in D state

To: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <arekm@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.27.7 vanilla, project quota enabled and process stuck in D state (repeatable every time)
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 17:07:24 -0500
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 10:42:29PM +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> [arekm@farm rpm]$ touch /home/users/arekm/tmp/aa
> [arekm@farm rpm]$ ./a.out
> ret=-1 Invalid cross-device link

That is btw, intentionċand expected.  To make the hierachial quotas
work renames between different projects or from/to no project at all
are not allowed.

> [arekm@farm rpm]$ ./a.out
>
> second run hangs with D-state.
>
> For clarification, rpm and tmp directories are on the same
> filesystem/partition (hda2), rpm/ dir belongs to project quota id=10, tmp
> doesn't belong to any project quota.
>
> For the rest of your questions -  Christoph promised to look at the issue
> today, so I'll wait until tomorrow and if the issue will still be a mystery
> then I'll dig out all data you asked for.

I tried to run your testcase, adopted to local paths and I can run it a
couple hundred times.  Then I get a hard lockup of my KVM virtual
machine..