Re: [XFS updates] XFS public tree - ..., mainline, updated. v2.6.28-rc3-

To: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [XFS updates] XFS public tree - ..., mainline, updated. v2.6.28-rc3-934-ged31348
From: Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:02:00 +1100
Cc: Niv Sardi <xaiki@xxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Timothy Shimmin wrote:
Niv Sardi wrote:
Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@xxxxxxx> writes:

Hey Niv, why are we sending emails as other people?
I'm not, it's Mark's script to send emails, I tried setting up the
'envelopesender' option to send as git@xxxxxxxxxxx, but mails were not
getting sent... I guess I need to look into that...

The script post-receive-email is from the "git" git repository in contrib/hooks.
The envelopesender is for setting up an email address to send to when
a mailing failure occurs and the script uses the -f option to sendmail
for this.
The "From" line for the email is set up by the generate_email_header()
function which sets it to the git committer. I presume that is where one
would want to change the code.
It could be set to a config variable which could be setup as git@xxxxxxxxxxx

So I guess some questions about this:
* do we want a square brackets tag in the mail subject, and if so what should
it be
I think we need a tag for filtering.  Having XFS in it is a bit redundant
- maybe "[GIT MERGE] XFS public tree ..."

* do we want the repository description in the subject
  (I've trimmed the description back)
I think so but it needs to be shorter - "XFS public tree" will do.

The aim for this email was to have it like TAKE messages - and let people
know the changes to the tree.

However, I don't think we ever sent TAKE msgs for updates of the
kernel part (non fs/xfs). Do we want this or not?
We did send out TAKEs for kernel updates - we just didn't do it very often.
I think it would be good to keep doing it in case people are waiting for us
to update to a particular -rc or something.

--Tim

Linus Torvalds wrote:
Updates for the "XFS public tree - master for ...
the repository at "git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs.git"

The branch, mainline has been updated
       via  ed313489badef16d700f5a3be50e8fd8f8294bc8 (commit)
       via  13d428afc007fcfcd6deeb215618f54cf9c0cae6 (commit)