Re: hangs with MTRR_SANITIZER? - no, something else

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: hangs with MTRR_SANITIZER? - no, something else
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 00:02:45 +0100
Cc: tuxonice-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Samstag 29 November 2008 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Hi!
>
> CC'd to linux-kernel mailinglist, as that might be something that goes
> beyond any possible TuxOnIce or XFS issues. I know I am using TuxOnIce
> which is not part of the mainline kernel. And I am even using an
> inofficial patch - which I will use again unchanged for the non
> MTRR_SANITIZER kernel, in order to know whether its the MTRR_SANITIZER
> thing. And anyway before knowing whether it might be MTRR_SANITIZER
> related I need to run the non MTRR_SANITIZER kernel for at least a week
> and have quite some hibernate cycles. If someone else had issues with
> MTRR_SANITIZER I would like to hear about it. Also if someone thinks I
> am completely off track on trying to track this down I appreciate a
> hint.

Ok, its not MTRR_SANITIZER. It hung again on hibernate, again before any
serious hibernating work has started. I will add debug output to my
pre-hibernate script as it might hang already in there, maybe while
disabling the network. I want to know whether it hangs before calling the
hibernate script or after it. I think I will go for the latest official
hibernate patch instead of using the inofficial one, although I am not
convinced that it makes much of a difference. Lets see.

The syncs I added to my pre-hibernate seemed to help. KDE configuration is
intact. As a safeguard I rsync ~/.kde to a backup directory before
hibernating anyway.

Lets see what ideas I have to continue that Sherlock Holmes game ;)

I am puzzled that it only happens on my ThinkPad T42, not on the T23 and
neither on the Dell workstation - till now.

Goodnight ;-),