Re: truncated files

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: truncated files
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:39:23 +0100
Am Freitag 28 November 2008 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Mittwoch 26 November 2008 schrieb Dave Chinner:

> > > Well I use TuxOnIce for a reason! I had uptimes of up to 70 days
> > > with it already. And they are usually only interrupted by kernel
> > > updates or manual shutdowns. I was never convinced by in-kernel
> > > solutions for hibernate.
> >
> > Sure, though I'm not convinced that TuxOnIce is any better because
> > it still uses the same fundamental design as the in-kernel ones.
>
> Might be.
>
> But something is fishy here. I had it a second time today. This time I
> know for sure that the machine freezed hard. Mouse pointer froze and
> the machine didn't even respond to a ping anymore. Nothing in logs -
> doesn't surprise me.
>
> I didn't have this issue with 2.6.26, and I also don't think I had it
> with 2.6.27.5. I will downgrade to 2.6.27.5 now.

I wonder about those truncated files nonetheless. As I don't think that
KDE is writing config files all the time. Well I might be wrong, but I
didn't even change KDE configuration during time of the crash... OTOH XFS
uses a in memory inode size and should be safe with the point in time
when it writes the size to disk as far as I read here. Well this time at
least again the file "kdeglobals" was affected and this file might be
written rather often.

Anyway, since I am not even using an official TuxOnIce patch... lets see
what the downgrade to 2.6.27.5 brings - no time to really dig deeper into
that right now.

Maybe I should update notebook kernels a little less. 2.6.25.3,6,8,10
worked nicer than 2.6.26.5 which has had hangs on USB sound on my T23
Amarok machine, especially after several hibernate cycles.

Or use the Debian distro kernel, but I never had much luck with hibernate
with that. Might be worth trying again.