Re: truncated files

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: truncated files
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:02:42 +0100
Am Mittwoch 26 November 2008 schrieb Dave Chinner:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 09:49:18AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > >                       ^^^^^^^^^
> > > When (not if) suspend to disk/resume fails, you get to keep all the
> > > broken pieces of your filesystem. It works most of the time, but it
> > > has some fundamentally broken corner cases that you probably just
> > > hit....
> >
> > Well I use TuxOnIce for a reason! I had uptimes of up to 70 days with
> > it already. And they are usually only interrupted by kernel updates
> > or manual shutdowns. I was never convinced by in-kernel solutions for
> > hibernate.
>
> Sure, though I'm not convinced that TuxOnIce is any better because
> it still uses the same fundamental design as the in-kernel ones.

Might be.

But something is fishy here. I had it a second time today. This time I
know for sure that the machine freezed hard. Mouse pointer froze and the
machine didn't even respond to a ping anymore. Nothing in logs - doesn't
surprise me.

I didn't have this issue with 2.6.26, and I also don't think I had it with
2.6.27.5. I will downgrade to 2.6.27.5 now.

> > > I've never had a system that suspends reliably (let alone resumes
> > > from the suspend) so it's no real surprise that I don't trust
> > > suspend to disk....
> >
> > Well I take it as bad luck then, especially since there are no hints
> > that XFS had a problem. I am not sure whether the machine really was
> > dead, but I can't reproduce what exactly happened. So thats it.
>
> And therein lies the problem. I can't get suspend/resume to work
> reliably on anything I own, so I can't do anything about problems
> reported as a result of suspend/resume. Hell, I even considered
> running linux on my new laptop inside a virtual machine on windows
> just so I could have functioning suspend/resume....

Then you really had back luck. TuxOnIce works stable for me - at least it
did so for a long long while, until my recent kernel.

Ciao,