Re: truncated files

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: truncated files
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:49:18 +0100
Am Dienstag 25 November 2008 schrieb Dave Chinner:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:44:14PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Today on one try to hibernate via tuxonice it machine appeared dead.
> > I am
>
>                       ^^^^^^^^^
> When (not if) suspend to disk/resume fails, you get to keep all the
> broken pieces of your filesystem. It works most of the time, but it has
> some fundamentally broken corner cases that you probably just
> hit....

Well I use TuxOnIce for a reason! I had uptimes of up to 70 days with it
already. And they are usually only interrupted by kernel updates or
manual shutdowns. I was never convinced by in-kernel solutions for
hibernate.

> > Similar stuff happened on the encfs encrypted KDE user that I use for
> > professional stuff - encfs is layered on top of XFS via FUSE:
>
> IIRC, FUSE cannot be suspended safely at all, so expect corruption
> of FUSE filesystems on a failed suspend.

Ok, fair enough. My private data isn't on encfs tough.

> I've never had a system that suspends reliably (let alone resumes
> from the suspend) so it's no real surprise that I don't trust
> suspend to disk....

Well I take it as bad luck then, especially since there are no hints that
XFS had a problem. I am not sure whether the machine really was dead, but
I can't reproduce what exactly happened. So thats it.

Ciao,